Sunday, October 4, 2015

TX House: Living Room Make Over

***Originally posted to cregarstyle on May 28, 2014***

As the largest room in our house, and the first thing you see when you walk in the front door, the living room has a huge impact on the flow of the house.  Remember the living room from the post about our house?  If not here is a refresher of what it looked like when we bought the house in May 2013.



Holy beige, Batman!  I mean beige carpet, beige walls, beige tile around the fireplace.  Remember that the furniture in the photos above is the previous owners.  We were fortunate enough to own a wonderful leather couch circa 1990 in the perfect color...beige!  After 6 months in the house I had lost my mind looking at the never ending stream of beige.  I spent at most a week thinking about colors for the open living spaces (living room, dining room, and kitchen).  I settled on one color for the kitchen/dining room since they share a wall and a second color for the living room.  Are you ready for the drastic change that paint can make????  



So as you can see these are NOT the 1990 beige leather couch.  However, still beige.  Technically its "vanilla."  To be fair though, we bought them after the room was painted so I knew beige would work.  We had been searching for a new seating arrangement that would provide us with extra space for a while.  After a trip to IKEA where we came up empty (first and last time that will happen) we shopped around at some local furniture stores.  We had originally planned on putting a sectional in the corner to create an L shape, but the wall with the art hanging on it isn't quite long enough for the sectionals we were finding.  The next thought process was to get a love seat and a couch and create the L shape.  Another bust.  A love seat would fit but the couch and love seat would over lap so we wouldn't be able to use half of the love seat.  It was around that time that Aaron's parents got new furniture for their living room.  They have always had a couch, a chair and a half, and an ottoman in their living room so we started looking for that arrangement.  We came across this at Rooms to Go.  Our couch is a pull out queen sofa so that provides for guest space.  It was especially important when we bought it because we didn't have furniture for the guest room yet so this provided people a place to sleep.  Back to the couches though.  Then we found out we could get some of our pillows in an accent color.  We loved the blue color and figured it would look nice with the walls.  We didn't know that it was going to match perfectly.  We go to SOOOOOO lucky!


Having that dark paint makes our white trim and mantle POP!  I found that clock at Marshall's for under $15 and snagged it. I just loved its design and thought it was the perfect addition since it has a silver outline (the dining room and kitchen are grey) so it really tied the open spaces together.  We are choosing to accent nearly the entire house with little pops of yellow.  We found that lantern for $3 at IKEA.  Those bows aren't normally up but I figured I'd leave them up from Memorial Day to the Fourth of July.

Close up of the clock so you can see the design.  Pretty good find for under $15.


As a bridal shower present my mom bought us this pillow with our monogram on it.  What house is complete without at least one monogram in it?  We currently have our monogram in 2 places...but I am sure it won't stop at 2 haha.  But this is the perfect extra pop of yellow and the letters are actually blue to match the walls.  She's so on top of it that mom of mine :)


Delilah sat in the same place looking at me like I had five heads as I walked around the living room taking pictures.  Aaron had just left for work which always makes her a sad sack so she stays glued to my side.  For example: she is currently curled up under my desk between my feet as I write this.


And last but not least our entertainment center.  I actually had to take this picture from the kitchen looking through the pass through window because I couldn't get it all in otherwise.  Our coffee table and 4 DVD towers are from IKEA while the actual TV stand is from RoomStore as they were going out of business.  We had our TV mounted to the wall by the Geek Squad from Best Buy and we still need to paint the little white part of our cord holder that you can see between the TV and our sound bar.  My husband is a movie fanatic.  He will see movies in the theaters multiple times and then just has to have every DVD he can find.  This is me reigning him in.  We also have a subscription to Netflix and frequent our local movie rental store.  I think we have a problem.  As much as I was not on board for him buying the monstrous 60" TV while I was out of the state (we weren't married at the time so he kinda has a free pass), it is a nice size for our home because I can see what is going on while I'm in the kitchen cooking watching Aaron cook.

We still have a lot of wall space I want to put wedding photos up on.  And our entry way table has lots of frames that we got as wedding presents just waiting for photos to go in them.  But for the most part the living room is done.  Although, we are trying to come up with a great elevated bed for Delilah...but that is another post once we figure that one out.  Until then...


No comments:

Post a Comment